Subject: RE: Cable Access
From: Mike McCool <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 15:45:30 -0500

Hey Joe, or whoever brought this up:  thanks. 

Though I do sell animations, this week will see the first one of mine
actually go out on the air.  And you guessed it, it's on a local cable
access show. 
 
I did the (what else!) flying logo titles for a show that's going to be 
broadcast this week.  

Our cable access operates out of one of the local high schools.  ANYbody
can put on a show.  All we have to do is prove proficiency on the
equipment.  We can borrow cameras, use editing suites,--we even have access
to a fully equipped soundstage.  And it's all FREE . . .  (I get tickled
just typing about this). 

It's STILL one of the great untapped resources.  Most local charters for 
the licensing of Cable Companies require that at least one station be 
dedicated to public access.  Here, our cable provider is TCI.  (Does the C 
stand for Christian?  Colossal?  Corporate).  I believe they even have to 
cough up a percentage of their take to fund the cable access channel.  

It's always a panic and grab session around the end of the fiscal, when 
the threat of no more funding seems to rear its head year after year.  
But we just got a bunch of new cameras, so the beat goes on. 

So, why isn't it used by everyone?  Why aren't we all out there making our
own versions of the Great American TV Show?  

Because it's hard as all hell to really DO it, and because, though good
ideas are a dime a dozen, good follow-through's are precious and rare. 

But folks, listen to the fellow who suggested we go knock on the door of 
our local cable access station.  There's gold in them thar hills . . .